Optimization of the software, application or database is a process improving their performance by reducing the use of computer resources or increasing the speed of their operations. Day-to-day business multiplies the amount of data and requires that the new modules or system functionalities are added. For that reason, after some time, performance of most of the systems decreases. In addition, most of the existing applications are commercial off-the-shelf (COTS), universal applications dedicated and designed for all kinds of small, medium and large companies with no difference whether they are representing business services, manufacturing, retail or distribution, not mentioning about the different scale of operations. For that reason, the COTS applications will operate in each company quite similar, what will influence its performance.
Systems/Applications working not optimally:
- Reduced performance, very long lasting processes resulting in lower staff productivity and often production downtime
- Customer dissatisfaction when response or service takes too long
- Functional limitations, such as a Month-end/General Ledger Close operations causing a significant slowdown of the whole system
- Limited access to the current reports and forecasts – unable to make important business decisions straightforward (it might take up to several hours to generate crucial reports)
When should you suspect that the system is running inefficiently?
- Execution of some operations in the system takes longer than a minute
- System has not been optimized in the past year
- In small systems (less than 20 GB) some operations take longer than a few seconds
The challenges highlighted above are a concern of the vast majority of systems, including the biggest brands from the sectors e.g. – ERP/MIS, CRM, BI, GIS, Billing Systems, to name but a few. Worth mentioning fact is that very often optimization guarantees significant increase of the performance and often even higher than in case of the purchase of new hardware infrastructure. Optimization is also a cheaper option than buying new equipment, sometimes even dozens of times cheaper.
Advantages of optimization:
- A large performance increase (typically from a few dozen to several hundred percent)
- Low cost compared to purchasing new equipment
- Rapid effect (see the first results after a few days, the biggest performance increase can be noticed within the first two weeks)
- Reaction to reasons of a performance decrease, rather than limitation of their impact
- Optimization works do not result in system downtime
We would like encourage you to sign up for a free of charge preliminary performance audit. As a result, information on guaranteed performance increase, project timeframes and cost of the service will be delivered. At your request as an example, we might test and optimize one of the indicated minor application processes.